Wednesday, April 28, 2010

GenderMah Day 2 Recap

Wow, it's a lot harder to try to recall stuff a few days later, but luckily, I wrote Smeri an email on Sunday evening so I can go back to that to jog my memory.  (Err, rather, just copy what I wrote, for the most part.)  The first game Sunday was a pool crossover game, which meant that we played the bottom of the A pool.  It was just as hot as Saturday and the fields were muddier, which made running a bit of a challenge.  We started off in a quick 4-1 or 5-1 deficit before finally waking up... I guess sMITe isn't the only team with first-game woes.

In any case, we finally get into our groove, came back with 3 or 4 unanswered points and eventually pulled even to 6-6, then we managed to take half, 7-6 (games to 13, hard cap at 60 minutes).  But because the fields were so muddy and it was so hot, no one could run, and all the points that day were SUUUUPER long, both men's and women's games, and half happened with only 5 or 10 minutes left until hard cap.  (That sentence was not grammatically correct.  I don't care.)  Then I think hard cap went off before anyone scored after the half, and then they pulled even, 7-7, pushing the game to universe point.  Here though, they call it "universal point," which really just sounds odd.

Finally, though, probably another 10 minutes later, we won on universe point, 8-7, hooray!  I'm not actually sure if that was the exact order of events but it was something close to that.  Basically, we were behind and then we scored a lot.  Oh, also, not to brag, but of course that's what I'm doing, the two points before universe point were my doing; the first on a crazy sprint across almost the whole endzone to grab a disc that was going over the intended receiver's head, and the second on a layout grab off a deep cut out of a horizontal stack, which I think is pretty much my favorite cut.  Haha I was so wet and gross after that one.

Oh, but that nice fun point just before half was followed by a really grueling fight for the win, ugh, it still pains me to think about that.  For basically, I dunno, 5 full minutes, we'd get the disc, Serena, our handler who could huck, would send me deep, underestimate how much the mud was slowing us down, and overthrow me.  This happened two or three times (yes, they turned it that often as well), at which point I thought, "maybe I'm not trying hard enough," so I laid out for the next couple, only to come up about a foot short each time.  My body was also a little sad at hitting the ground so often, so finally the next point I just went for in cuts only.  I don't remember actually how that last point was scored, but I know we moved it up to the endzone and there was something like a high release backhand to someone in the corner.

The next game was quarterfinals and we played one of the really young teams from Saturday.  Unfortunately, we were all wiped out from the previous game, and somehow down to only 9 or 10 people, between injuries and someone that had to leave for something.  We started off with two quick points, but then they pulled even, and we traded points for a while, until finally they just plain outran us.  Everyone on our team was sapped; I couldn't keep up with my girl on D, people weren't getting to the disc on O, we were just worn out.  That was kind of frustrating, but those young little sprites are obviously more resilient. 

Anyway, I took a lot of pictures.  The first half is mostly my team, then at the end I just took a lot of other pictures, because I bought a fancy DSLR a few weeks back (the Canon 550D, aka Ti2 Rebel).   

No comments: