Saturday, August 30, 2008

"Summary"

Here’s my trip for people who don’t like paragraphs:

Total distance traveled: 4224 mi (6798 km)
In train: 1334 mi (2147 km)
By plane: 2890 mi (4651 km)

  • Discount airline flights: 3
  • “Real” airline flights (where you don’t pay for drinks!): 1
  • Most number of beds in a hostel room: 17 (Stockholm)
  • Most nights in one place: 4 (Berlin)
  • Latitude of the point furthest north: 59〫N
  • Cheapest pint: 35 Kč /1.49 € (Prague)
  • Most expensive pint: 6.50 € (Dublin)
  • Weight of my backpack: 12.4 kg
  • Pairs of pants that I brought: 1—not enough. I thought it was going to be warmer.
Tastiest moments:
  • My first croissant in Paris
  • Lemon-meringue tart in Paris
  • Ham cold cuts at a fancy restaurant in Berlin (check back, I'll find the name/address)
  • A "quark" pastry in Berlin (basically a yogurt custard. Side note, still have yet to try frozen custard in the US, midwest style)
  • Venison steak & potatoes in Stockholm (definitely paid for it)
  • Mysterious green pastry in Stockholm
  • Beef goulash in Prague--seriously. It was really good. All the goulash I've ever tried was pretty normal, like a stew, but it's really good when made correctly
  • Honorable mention to the breads in Germany too... they're all grainy and seedy like the stuff we sold at Village Mill
Outstanding views:
  • Anywhere along the Seine in Paris
  • Anywhere in Stockholm. Probably from Södermalm, though, since it has some cliffs with good vantage points, if I had to pick one.
  • Side streets along the Charles Bridge, Prague (see Prague entry). Or, from the west side of the river, from the bridge north of the Charles. Key is getting out early, before the bridge fills up with crowds
Best places to simply sit:
  • St. Patrick Cathedral park
  • Along the Seine, east of Saint Michael's down below and right on the water. I ate a splendid picnic dinner with Brianna here
  • The park behind Notre Dame. It almost doesn't look like a park that's actually open, but it is.
  • Along the water on Djurgarden, Stockhom.
A few other superlatives:
  • Most likely place to strike up a conversation on the subway: Berlin. By 2 a.m. they're all drunk and really friendly. A little too friendly.
  • Most likely place to encounter groups of crazies dressed up for bachelor/bachelorette parties: Dublin
  • Most impressive church/cathedral exterior: Notre Dame. Interior: St. Nicholas, Prague.
  • Most expensive: Stockholm
  • Cheapest: Prague
  • Most likely return destination: Stockholm, then Paris.
And now you know why I put "summary" in quotation marks. :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alisha! I like your idea! So I copied it - http://mpdaugherty.wordpress.com/2008/09/01/summary/

Ling said...

Alisha! I was directed here via Mike's blog! Cool to read about your stuffs but it'll take me a while before I finish the rest. Talk to you later!