Saturday, August 9, 2008

Now this is summer...

I suppose by not blogging for nearly a month following Pamplona, some might think that the trip really knocked me out or something. Haha, I don't think being further from the truth could be possible. Granted, I was in pretty sorry shape going into work the next week, but a few afternoon siestas (much easier when you leave work between 3:30 and 4), and I was ready to roll. And roll I did. Let's see if I can even remember everything we did since then. Well... let's see, there was Rome (VaticanGelatoSistineChapelLunchPantheon
SpanishStepsTreviFountainRunTravesterefordinnerandafestival
sleepColoseumattempthome), then there was a Wednesday excursion to Siurana (I got to drive!), where we kayaked in a reservoir then drove up to the top of a mountain where this cute little town of 20-some-odd buildings is perched. We had a picnic up at the top and just generally enjoyed life. Siurana is also world famous for mountain climbing, apparently. Two days later was a surprise going away party for Thor, at my apartment. He was really surprised, we had a Brazilian lead a mini dance course in my living room, then we went out until 5 in the morning. The next day at 7pm, 4 coworkers and I ran a 15k road race near Poblet, where the monastery that I visited with my family was. Aside from having a 128m difference between the highest and lowest point in the race, including something like a 5km climb, it was an amazing amazing race. The most gorgeous one I have ever run, undoubtedly. From there was hauled ass back to Tarragona (it was about 45 min away) to make it to Thor's going away dinner which he had planned, seeing as how he didn't know there was going to be a party. After that we went to nearby Salou, the English/Dutch tourist magnet, where we were again out until the wee hours of the morning. Actually, by the time we left the discoteca at 6am, we figured we'd just go for broke and watch the sun rise. Beyond worth it.

Sunday was gentle, a beach day, and somehow the lot of us made it into work the next Monday. Tuesday we did some beach volleyball, where we made friend with a Catalán kid named Gerard who was probably better than a large majority of us. We tried to teach him the word "awesome." We'll see if it sticks. Wednesday we went to Jungle Trek, basically a giant ropes course with zip lines, things to climb, etc, that is run by the husband of someone at work. Following Jungle Trek, what we thought was going to be "going for a drink" turned out to be "hey it's midnight lets go to the chiringuito!" (Chiringuitos are the little beachside bars that are everywhere.) Not surprisingly, that evolved into 8 or 10 of us swimming in the Mediterranean at 1 in the morning... but I fully made in on Thursday for my 8:30-10am conference call. Thursday, though, was Thor's last night in TGN, so of course we had plans again. After an extraordinarily disappointing Banana Boat ride (seriously, it sucked), we went for the "let's just lay on the beach" concept, before heading back into town for dinner and general hanging out. Friday, finally, I was allowed to recover.

The following weekend, being last weekend, Aug. 2, was finally a bit tranquil. Saturday morning I actually did some work (yikes!) since my final presentation was Monday, before heading down for a beach session, which occurred in two parts, separated by an amazing casera (homemade) lunch, courtesy of my friend Laura's mom. Mussels yum, razor clams yum, octupus yum, homemade fidueà yum yum. Then it was back to the beach, back for a shower, and a combined Turkish/Italian dinner, courtesy of Burçak and Elena, my Turkish and Italian friends. On the way home I had a slight encounter with the law, getting pulled over on my bike by a police officer at a drunk driving checkpoint. After getting reprimanded for riding at night for no lights, he eventually did let me go, no harm done, hehe. Plus I was neither drunk nor driving. Sunday was a repeat of the same, lunch from Laura's mom (I really won't argue with people taking care of me), beach, some work. Monday I gave my presentation to people from Dow all over the world, which went fine, then the afternoon was more beach action. Tuesday I taught Laura and Eva how to make pot stickers and fried rice, which we devoured. Wednesday was Eva's turn, and she taught me to make lubina a la sal. Lubina is bass, apparently, and all you have to do is lay the whole fish on a bed of salt, cover it with a blanket of salt, and stick it in the oven. It was awesome. Thursday/yesterday I spent the afternoon packing up my life, baking cookies (company tradition that you bring treats to work when something special happens, and today was my last day). And now here I am. Officially no longer a Dow employee, and about 16 hours away from a 17-day excursion around Europe. Holy crap. I'm excited, exhausted, exhilerated, and emotional in basically every single way. It's really weird to think that I'll be back in the US in 3 weeks. I actually can't really imagine what it's going to be like. I'm really going to miss it here. I know that things wouldn't be the same if I stayed, and I'm not saying that I wish I were staying, but I'm going to miss it, for sure. I've met some great people here, some of whom, sadly enough, I know I'll never see again. But hey, that's the way it goes. It doesn't negate that fact that this has been absolutely amazing. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, I'd tell everyone I know to do it, I even already know that when I have kids, I'll be shipping them off to a foreign country sometime. And shoot, I even contributed a bit at work, too!

Anyhoo, it's my last Friday night, my bags are packed, and it's time to party. Then, starting tomorrow it's: Dublin-Paris-Berlin-Stockholm-Prague!!!! Holy crap I'm about to have an AWESOME trip. Laters!

No comments: