Sunday, June 6, 2010

Don't know where to start

Earlier today (at 5:40 a.m., to be exact), I got back from my excursion to Seoul, Beijing, and Shanghai, and now I'm just about packed up for my flight back to Boston tomorrow.  I'm so giddy, both from my trip and from the prospect of returning home.  Hm, the only small problem is that I really can't think of any way to begin to tackle the task of describing my vacation.  I could give the Cliff's notes version, I guess, but that feels like a laundry list, or worse, a checklist of sightseeing spots that people go to for bragging rights.  I could tell story after story, but then people would get bored and I'd have nothing to talk about when I get home.  Or I could wax poetic about the emotional and intellectual parts of the trip, but that usually sounds overdramatic.  So I guess I'll just share a few of my most prominent thoughts, and fill in details later.

At the risk of being completely nondescript, the trip was, simply put, amazing.  I traveled alone but met up with various friends from high school, college, and Singapore for all but one day in Beijing and half a day in Shanghai.  I got to see how my own friends live and what life is like for the locals.  I visited world famous and historic sights.  (Mike and I went to the Great Wall of China!!  Before about a month ago, it had never really occurred to me that in my life I would see the Great Wall.)  My friends and I shared food, went to museums, and played some ultimate.  I learned that Seoul is a lovely city nestled among the mountains, and we all discovered that in China, anything can--and will--happen.  (Definitely ask me for stories later.  As a warning though, many involve bathroom-type behaviors.)  It was a great time, and now I have about 500 pictures to sort through, but for now, here's a sneak peak of some of the highlights:

 Gyeongbokgung Palace, Seoul.

Mutianyu section of the Great Wall.

Beijing duck in Beijing!  (Courtesy of Mike's girlfriend's company, haha I'm so spoiled.)

Shanghai at night.  Lovin' the new camera.

Back in Beantown on Tuesday morning... looking forward to a fun summer!

4 comments:

Miss Outlier said...

Looks awesome! When you get back, we should totally catch up so I can hear the stories. Can't believe your time there went so fast! Did it feel fast to you?

shan said...

i'm so jealous you got to go to the shanghai tournament! a bunch of good friends from beijing were there, too. i wish i could have joined in!

looks like you got to experience the best of the best in beijing! mutianyu is totally what i would have recommended too :)

Heather said...

yay! it'll be good to have sluts back in boston :)

Kshu said...

YAYYYYY YOU'RE BACK!!!!!