Sunday, May 23, 2010

Scuby-duby-duba Diving!

This weekend, I went to a tropical island (Pulau Tioman, Malaysia),

with ridiculously blue water,

and got my PADI Open Water SCUBA certification!

We saw lots of amazing sea life, including coral fish (nemo!), parrot fish, sea turtles, blue spotted rays, morey eels, and more!  There were also giant friggin monitor lizards on land:
(Lower left, not quite in the corner)

And when we were all done diving, we goofed around; snorkeling, swimming, and jumping off the roof of the boat:

What a great weekend!  Haha I have such an awesome life.

4 comments:

Miss Outlier said...

How cool! Looks gorgeous.

I have my certification as well - and there are many opportunities to dive around Boston. If you ever want a diving buddy when we're on the same continent, let me know!

Alisha said...

Yeah, definitely! Haha except it's a danged expensive hobby.... do you own gear? I'd have to rent everything, including a longsuit if we're gonna be in New England, gah!

Miss Outlier said...

I own my snorkel, fins, booties, and wetsuit (both 3mm and 7mm). Because everybody pees in their wetsuit and that weirds me out.

I have to rent BC, tank, regulator, and weights. And if diving in New England, hood and gloves. Gack! This is expensive. :) But there is a dive shop in Cambridge that gives really good discounts to MIT students - so you can rent a "package" of all that stuff for a day or the weekend for $50. (http://web.mit.edu/scuba-club/www/Docs/MIT_SCUBA_Club_and_United_Divers.pdf). So I do that - I haven't gone often enough to make it worth buying (yet...).

shan said...

YAY!!! you made it to a Malaysian island! That's so awesome. Wish I could have been there :)