Friday, June 6, 2008

Maybe I'm Mexican

Ok, I have lots to update, but I'm just going to jot down a few thoughts instead. My parents were here for the last two weeks so we went carousing around southern Spain and I'll write all about that soon. But for now, just a few funny experiences, involving some Spanairds that apparently don't think I'm very American. The first was my officemate Marta, who, during lunch earlier this week, declared that I'm the most Mexican-seeming American she's ever met. (The same Marta who told me, on my first day at work, that I spoke like a Mexican.) We tried to get her to elaborate, but she just kept saying, "oh, like in everything, your attitude, I don't know." I don't know, either. If it helps, at the time I was giving a mini-discourse on hot peppers and chocolate...

The next interesting tidbit happened last night, at a mini-party my roommates and I had. (I suppose it was a substitute for the housewarming party that we never had, but actually, I don't really know what the reason was.) Actually, gonna be honest, I'm only writing this next one because it made me feel cool, and I want to brag about how cool I am. So we had this party and each of the 3 of us invited 4-5 friends (I should one day describe my apartment and living situation, if I ever have a weekend where I don't travel or something). And at the party I met one of my roomate's friends, who at the end of the night declared that I was the coolest American he had ever met, because I was outgoing and down-to-earth. YESSSS. Plus there was even another American girl (an intern from MIT, in fact) at the party, and I won out over her. Sweet! Haha yeah actually he also asked me earlier in the night if I was Mexican at all, but I promised that I wasn't. I dunno, I guess San Diego is almost Mexico. But I really don't think we have the same attitude as Mexicans. Maybe Baja. Meh, whatever. I'm the coolest American in Spain. Ok, maybe I stretched that a little. No, no, it's definitely true.

No comments: